Possible bug with Cash Flow Report

James Kerr jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk
Fri Nov 6 16:49:54 EST 2009

On Friday 06 November 2009 Anthony Nelson wrote:

> I'm sure you are correct, there probably is a fundamental accounting
> principal I am missing.  Weeks ago I read the wiki you kindly
> pointed me to and I guess I still don't understand it.  But I'm not
> expecting the folks here to teach me accounting.

> Even so:
> When I deposited $5000 into my check account that seems to me like a
> cash transaction, cash flowed into my checking account.
> When I paid my credit card bill with a check that in turn paid for
> an expense that was tied to the Loan From Shareholder account.  Cash
> flowed out of my checking account.
> When I cut a check to myself for the balance of the debt, cash
> flowed out of my checking account.

Sorry for starting a new thread, but I hit the delete key instead of
the "reply to" key and had to pick up your email from the archive.

If you select only the cash and near cash accounts in the options for
the cash flow report, then that is how they should appear in the cash
flow report,  provided that all three transactions occurred within the
accounting period being reported on. But only the first and third of
these transactions involved the Loan from Shareholder account.
The second would be reported as a credit card payment.

The loan was  reduced by being offset against the debt that you owed
to the company for the personal expense that you had charged to the
company and that did not cause a change in the cash balance. The
change in the cash balance happened when the credit card bill was
paid.

Jim