Possible bug with Cash Flow Report

Anthony Nelson tonyn at openlearning.com
Fri Nov 6 17:05:20 EST 2009

Ok, I think I get it.  Please allow me one follow up.  I believe what you
and others are says is that:

1) There is no bug,  the cash flow statement is reporting what it should
2) The transactions were properly recorded

The question boils down to: Is it your opinion that everything is fine with
this transaction, or should I have recorded it differently.

Many thanks,
Tony

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:49 PM, James Kerr <jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk
> wrote:

> On Friday 06 November 2009 Anthony Nelson wrote:
>
> > I'm sure you are correct, there probably is a fundamental accounting
> > principal I am missing.  Weeks ago I read the wiki you kindly
> > pointed me to and I guess I still don't understand it.  But I'm not
> > expecting the folks here to teach me accounting.
>
> > Even so:
> > When I deposited $5000 into my check account that seems to me like a
> > cash transaction, cash flowed into my checking account.
> > When I paid my credit card bill with a check that in turn paid for
> > an expense that was tied to the Loan From Shareholder account.  Cash
> > flowed out of my checking account.
> > When I cut a check to myself for the balance of the debt, cash
> > flowed out of my checking account.
>
> Sorry for starting a new thread, but I hit the delete key instead of
> the "reply to" key and had to pick up your email from the archive.
>
> If you select only the cash and near cash accounts in the options for
> the cash flow report, then that is how they should appear in the cash
> flow report,  provided that all three transactions occurred within the
> accounting period being reported on. But only the first and third of
> these transactions involved the Loan from Shareholder account.
> The second would be reported as a credit card payment.
>
> The loan was  reduced by being offset against the debt that you owed
> to the company for the personal expense that you had charged to the
> company and that did not cause a change in the cash balance. The
> change in the cash balance happened when the credit card bill was
> paid.
>
> Jim

-- Tony