No Backup Files and Saving Problem

Tom Galvani tom at galvanilegal.com
Tue Nov 10 20:53:53 EST 2009

Hello,

I have had a bit of trouble with the backup files and the save function
in GnuCash.  I am setting up my business and want to back up all my
business files - and all my GnuCash files - each night.  Currently, I
have my main hard drive partitioned into C and D drives, D being the
drive where all my business files are stored, and C being the typical C
drive.  For the nightly backup, I've got an automated process simply
copying the entire contents of the D drive to an external drive.

The .gnucash directory is in my user directory on the C drive
(C:\Documents and Settings\user\.gnucash\).  The main GnuCash file is on
the D drive (D:\Admin\Financial\Bookkeeping\).  I was hoping to have all
the GnuCash files backup along with the D drive, but I can't find any
.xac, .log, .lnk, .lck files for GnuCash on the D drive, much less
anywhere on my computer.  I thought that the backup files were saved
automatically every few minutes in the same directory as the main file.

Also, (maybe related?) the "save" button in GnuCash is constantly greyed
out.  I can "save as," but cannot "save."

I don't think it is an access problem, because my user account
privileges allow for full read/write access of the C drive.  No other
user, other than my user and the administrator account, has access to
the C drive.

Can anybody help?  I just want to make sure that a) GnuCash is regularly
backing itself up when I am working in it and b) I can find those backup
files so that I can copy them with the automated backup each night.

Thanks,
Tom Galvani