Opening the books with a Loan (Resolved)

Pablo Francesca rshgeneral at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 11 18:04:47 EST 2009

Well I had done everything right from the beginning.  Just transfer an opening balance to a liability account. When I do this, liabilities shows the prepaid service liability.  Equity shows Assets minus liabilities as it should.
The problem lay in my understanding of a balance sheet.  When I look at the bottom of the balance sheet report I expected to see this Ta-Da (the Bottom Line).  Instead I was met with this subtle Total Liabilities & Equity. This is just an indirect way of saying total assets; while it is helpful information, what I was really looking for was always right above it. (Total Equity (what is this company worth?)).  Wikipedia indicates that this information (TL + E) is useful in determining debt loads.  I understand that, but I would have probably caught it sooner if it was expressed as some ratio.  Maybe Total Assets/(Total Assets + Total Liabilities). This makes sense if one remembers that a prepaid service, while a liability, also is reflected in double entry accounting in an asset account (usually a banking account).  So in one sense it is an asset you control, you just don't truly own it.
There is no need to involve any A/R accounts unless your customer decides to take their repayment in services.  At that point, you can create your invoice as usual.  Then just post a payment  to A/R and transfer the funds from the liability account.

Sorry for any pedantry. I'm just hoping someone finds this information useful in the future.