Online banking setup

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Nov 20 11:04:25 EST 2009

At Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:03:41 -0700 bradhaack at yahoo.com wrote:

> Is this going to be the case for all banks/credit cards?   If quicken is
> the only option for direct connect aren't there some monopoly issues
> with that?

Yes, of course.  Send a letter to your state AG, state reps, etc. explaining
this.  You should also tell them that 'security through obfiscation'
does not really work, that is using some 'secret' and 'proprietary'
methodology does NOT enhance security, but in fact weakens it.

> I was suspecting that about chase, I can't get to my Chase CC anymore.
> I don't use the GC/Aqbanking feature (I could never get it to work), & I
> don't use 'online banking', but I do like to import OFX data from my CC
> and 401k.  I use ofx.py and import the OFX.  If I have to go thru all
> the web browser steps that's going to be a big pain.  Anyone know of a
> good webscraper that would be good for this?
>

> On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 01:16 -0500, David Reiser wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, the stone age is coming back in bank downloads in open
> >  source. The banking oversight folks in the U.S. decreed that banks
> >  must use multifactor authentication for online access to customer's
> >  bank records. Intuit has taken the opportunity to make proprietary the
> >  login phase of transaction connections. Just last weekend Chase, under
> >  the guise of "enhancing Chase Online," disabled their old servers that
> >  did ofx directconnect. Now, Quicken connects to Chase through an
> >  Intuit intermediary, using authentication that does not match prior
> >  login procedures and is not completely discernable from ofx logs
> >  available in quicken.
> >
> > I'd be willing to bet that within two years it will be either Quicken connections or webpage downloads only for U.S. banks (including credit cards).
> >
> > Dave
> > --
> > David Reiser
> > dbreiser at earthlink.net

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933