Splits in Cash Flow report

Nowl night0wl at inbox.com
Sat Nov 28 22:28:57 EST 2009

Hello everyone

I'm fairly new to GnuCash, so please excuse me if this is a silly
question, but I can't work out what is going wrong.

I use GC to do the accounts for a small charity and recently had to make
up the end-of-year reports. I noticed something odd happening with Cash
Flow reports and split transactions.

An example: I wrote a cheque withdrawing money from the current bank
account to reimburse a committee member. This was split between the
Exoenses:Meetings account (for refreshments) and
Expenses:Newsletter:Postage account (for buying stamps). Everything
shows correctly within GnuCash and the summary line correctly shows the
split amount for whichever account is being viewed.

But the Cash Flow report is only correct if run for the account the
money was actually taken from (current bank account). If run for
Expenses:Newsletter:Postage, it shows the total for the entire
transaction coming in to this account, then the amount assigned to the
Meetings sub-account going out. Similarly, Cash Flow for
Expenses:Meetings shows the whole amount coming in, and this account
"paying" the Postage account, which it would never be used for!

Have I done something wrong, or is this a peculiarity of the way GC
handles splits? I'd be very grateful for any pointers.

--
Nina