"Statutory Accounts"

Rick Griffiths rjg42 at cantab.net
Sun Nov 29 15:28:22 EST 2009

Thanks for the quick and useful replies- I guess I'll dig out some example
reports and try to reverse engineer them, then maybe have an accountant look
over what I produce before submitting? I was maybe being optimistic and
hoping someone in a similar position might have said 'Click this button,
change these words' or similar... :)

> What's XBRL? Sent where?
XBRL is a worldwide standard for accounts- the UK government has made it a
requirement for all electronically submitted accounts to be in this format
by 2011 (I believe?), which will mean GnuCash will somehow need to support
it at some point to be of major use commercially here... As it's an open
standard, I suspect other countries will follow suit, so an export feature
would probably be nice if it were possible? For once I think the UK
government has got into tech too early, as it's looking like a headache for
UK business unless they use Sage or one of the other expensive large-scale
accounting packages...

I'm in IT, so I may look at creating a transform for .xac to .xbrl, but
having little understanding of the accounting behind it may make this
difficult... For anyone interested, the specification is here:
http://www.xbrl.org

Once again, thanks very much for the useful replies!
Rick.