How to differ opened tabs with the same name?

John Edwards jedwards80 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 17:30:45 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Luiz Carlos da Costa Junior
<lcjunior at ufrj.br> wrote:
> If we think in my account structure as a tree, some of the leaves have the
> same name. Of course they are different accounts, but when they are opened,
> gnucash shows only the last name of each account and so they look like the
> same in the tab list. If I open all CheckingAccounts, it will appear like:
>
> CheckingAccount
> CheckingAccount
> CheckingAccount
> CheckingAccount
>
> Additionally, when some account is selected, there is no way to know its
> "complete name", so we have to know which one was selected.
>
> Hence, my suggestions (options) are:
>
>   - Allow to put colors in the account tabs: the color would be selected in
>   the accounts properties and, by default, it would inherit parent's color;
>   - Show the "complete name" of each account when it is selected.
>
> I am suggesting this because I couldn't find other way to do it. If there is
> such way, please let me know.

What I do is give each of the accounts a unique name, generally by
incorporating the name of the tree, or some other distinguishing
feature.

For example, for the accounts my wife and I have, I've done something like this:
BankA Chequing, Joint
BankA Savings, John
BankA Savings, Wife

BankB Chequing, John

etc.

The other option, I believe, would be to assign account numbers, so
all your Asset accounts would be in the 100s, those from Bank A would
be in the 110s, Bank B the 120s, etc. I'm not sure if that shows up in
the tab, however.

John

--
John Edwards
"You can insure against the weather, but you can't insure against