GNUCASH FOR PDAs??

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Tue Oct 13 23:10:55 EDT 2009

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 06:29:29 am Jerry wrote:
> Perhaps you have covered this subject here before - if so, I'm sorry I
> missed it.
>
> Is there an option to use GnuCash on a PDA such as Palm Pilot and keep
> it in sync with the database on our home or office computers?
>
> -Jerry in Michigan USA

My gut feeling was no.  There is this undated link with reasons:

http://www.at.gnucash.org/old-website/roadmap.php3
 heading: "The Financial Browser, Part II: the PDA"

But it may not be the current position*.  It seems to suggest something like a
netbook running Linux.  I have seen a full-scale genealogy program for Windows
running on a netbook.

For the Linux version, there are several distros available on a bootable USB
key, and you could have GnuCash on that, but you need a computer you are
allowed to reboot.

I don't run a PDA, but the Palm is a separate OS, and Windows CE isn't
ordinary Windows.  A separate program would be required.  Most slimmed down
programs I have seen advertised are for one or the other.  There is currently
no version of GnuCash written specifically for either.  Your best bet would be
a PDA program which will export data in a format recognised by GnuCash.

Doug.

* Derek? Anybody?