How to transfer GC files from old Windows XP coomputer to new Windows Vista computer

Graeme Nichols graeme at graemenichols.com
Wed Oct 14 23:56:00 EDT 2009

Maf. King wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 October 2009 17:50:11 Norman Yeh wrote:
>> Dear Gnucash (GC) Experts,
>>
>> I was running GC 2.2.9 on an old computer with Windows XP Professional. Now
>> I have a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
>>
>> I have already downloaded and installed 2.2.9 on the Vista 64 computer. It
>> will open without any problems, but I have NOT created ANY accounts or
>> saved ANY files hoping to transfer them from the old computer.
>>
>> I see from the old XP computer that I can "Export Accounts". But on the new
>> Vista computer "Import" menu, I see a long list of different file types to
>> import, but nothing that says "import accounts" to correspond to the
>> exported accounts from the old system.
>>
>> Using a removable hard disk between the 2 computers, how can I transfer all
>> the GC data AND configuration settings I have on the old XP computer to the
>> new Vista computer? I am NO programmer and would greatly appreciate
>> details.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Norman
>

> Hi Norman,
>
> Copy your data file from the old PC onto the removable drive, then copy it
> somewhere sensible on the new machine.
>
> What is your data file called, and where might you find it?  That, I'm afraid,
> I can't answer.  It will be where you put it. It might have an extension
> of .xac, but it might not! (If you can't find it, do a File -> Save As... and
> find the new copy.)
>
> You may also need to copy the folder {$USER-HOME-DIR}/.gnucash to keep custom
> reports and open tab information.
>
> I'm neither a programmer nor a windows user.
>
> HTH
> Maf.

Hi Norman,

Maf is quite correct. Simply copy across your old XML data file to your
new computer. Unless you have set up a specific directory for your
Gnucash file on your old computer it will be in your home directory. It
will not have an extension normally and it will be compressed. The .xac
files are uncompressed copies. You can use the one with the latest time
stamp if you prefer.

The name of your data file will be in GnuCash's title bar at the very
top. If it isn't in your home directory do a search for it.

After copying across your data file open GnuCash and load the file from
wherever you put it, preferably your home directory.

I use GnuCash on my home work computer and when I am away on my laptop.
I have both GnuCash apps load and save my data file from a single USB
stick. I simply stick in the USB stick and then start GnuCash. I have
never had any problems. Don't forget to keep backups :-)

--
Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols.
Registered Linux User 381781 (http://counter.li.org/)