How to transfer GC files from old Windows XP coomputer to new Windows Vista computer

Timothy Wight tim.wight at kihoe.net
Thu Oct 15 07:07:42 EDT 2009

Your data file could be anywhere in your file system, depending upon
choices you made when it was created.  I have numerous copies, old
versions and backups scattered all over my hard drives.  Also, Gnucash
does not automatically append a file extension to the filename, so even
if you know the directory you won't necessarily find a '.xml' file.

Fortunately you can easily get round all that by opening old Gnucash,
selecting 'File>Save As...'  giving the file a name ( I recommend you
add a .xml extension) and saving it directly to your removeable disc.
You can then copy into your Vista machine to any location of your
choice.  I recommend you create a 'Gnucash' directory in 'My Documents'
and store it there.

If you do use file explorer for the above then you only need to copy the
one file.

I have not come across any simple way to copy over configuration
settings.  One solution is to have both pc's side by side with gnucash
running.  Then page through the 'Edit>Preferences' tabs one by one and
set new Gnucash to match old Gnucash.   Failing that, just make a note
of the more important settings (eg: accounting period, default
currencies) in old Gnucash,  apply those,  then fine tune as you go.

Good luck!

Tim