Accountant's comments on GNUcash

John M Collins jmc at xisl.com
Tue Oct 20 12:45:12 EDT 2009

Here is what my accountant says about GNUcash - would anyone like to
comment?

> After several days of pulling my hair out I have managed to get the
> trial balance to balance.
>
> The reporting in Gnu is very poor.  I have had to run a general
> ledger
> report on screen, cut and paste this to Excel and then work on the
> data
> from there.  On the general ledger report in many accounts the
> credits
> are randomly reported in the debit column (see accounts for VAT
> outputs
> or credit card) and so I have had to go through and pull them into
> the
> right column.
>
> However the main thing is that it still cannot cope with foreign
> currency.  In particular when amounts are transferred from Ruesch to
> HSBC current, the credit in Ruesch does not equal the debit in
> current
> account (see MEI on 24/11/08 - it has debit 6,413.16 and credit
> 6,823.24).  To identify this I have needed to go through the whole
> ledger and literally match each debit to a credit.  It is just
> fortunate
> that there are not that many foreign transactions - otherwise it
> would
> be completely unmanageable.
>
> Executive summary: you urgently need to ditch this software and get
> something that works.

John Collins jmc at xisl.com Skype: toadwarbler

xisoftware
Xi Software Ltd www.xisl.com

Tel: +44 (0)1707 886110 (Direct) +44 (0)7799 113162 (Mobile)

Registered in England & Wales Company Number 1977148 VAT: GB 403 9239 64

Trading Address: 3 Mandeville Rise, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL8 7JT, UK
Reg Office: 2 Mill Road, Haverhill, Suffolk, CB9 8BD, UK