How To Import OFX Transactions

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 21 22:10:04 EDT 2009

On Oct 21, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Robert Smits wrote:

> I'd really like to be able to import financial transactions from my
> financial
> institution, in this case Coastal Communities Credit Union on
> Vancouver
> Island.
>
> I'm using Gnucash 2.2.4 with opensuse 11.0.
>
> My credit union does let me export files in .qfx, .ofx, and .csv
> files.
>
> So I do that - and download and save the files.
>
> Next, I try to import the files, select the statement, and then I get
> a "generic import transaction matcher" window, but it shows
> absolutely no
> transactions.
>
> I can't find any way to configure this anywhere.
>
> I have looked at the docs, but see only a cursory description, not
> details of
> how this is actually done.
>
> Can someone enlighten me here?
> --
> Bob Smits, bob at rsmits.ca

Which kind of file are you trying to import? (Just making sure it
isn't csv.)

You may have to look at the contents of the ofx or qfx file to see if
there are any oddities. They are text files.

The behavior you are seeing matches what you would see if the bank
weren't properly assigning unique ID's to the transactions in the
statement. But usually that failure requires that you do one
successful import, and every one after that turns up empty because the
bank is reusing transaction IDs, so gnucash discards the new
transactions because it has already import transactions with those IDs.

The other possibility is that you want a transaction list, not a
statement. Normally, statements include transactions, but maybe
something about the way they are constructing the statement is
confusing gnucash and/or libofx.

Unless you can find someone that successfully uses files from your
bank, I think you are going to have to look at one of the downloaded
file's contents to see if there is anything obvious wrong.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net