How To Import OFX Transactions

Robert Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Thu Oct 22 05:01:21 EDT 2009

On October 21, 2009 07:10:04 pm David Reiser wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Robert Smits wrote:
> > I'd really like to be able to import financial transactions from my
> > financial
> > institution, in this case Coastal Communities Credit Union on
> > Vancouver
> > Island.
> >
> > I'm using Gnucash 2.2.4 with opensuse 11.0.
> >
> > My credit union does let me export files in .qfx, .ofx, and .csv
> > files.
> >
> > So I do that - and download and save the files.
> >
> > Next, I try to import the files, select the statement, and then I get
> > a "generic import transaction matcher" window, but it shows
> > absolutely no
> > transactions.
> >
> > I can't find any way to configure this anywhere.
> >
> > I have looked at the docs, but see only a cursory description, not
> > details of
> > how this is actually done.
> >
> > Can someone enlighten me here?
> > --
> > Bob Smits, bob at rsmits.ca
>
> Which kind of file are you trying to import? (Just making sure it
> isn't csv.)

I've tried both ofx and qfx.

> You may have to look at the contents of the ofx or qfx file to see if
> there are any oddities. They are text files.

Well, I've looked at them and they are text files but I don't know how to spot
any oddities.

> The behavior you are seeing matches what you would see if the bank
> weren't properly assigning unique ID's to the transactions in the
> statement. But usually that failure requires that you do one
> successful import, and every one after that turns up empty because the
> bank is reusing transaction IDs, so gnucash discards the new
> transactions because it has already import transactions with those IDs.

When I look at the FITID fields , they do seem to be different for each
transaction. Like this <FITID>4023

> The other possibility is that you want a transaction list, not a
> statement. Normally, statements include transactions, but maybe
> something about the way they are constructing the statement is
> confusing gnucash and/or libofx.

Is there documentation on what I should expect to see?

> Unless you can find someone that successfully uses files from your
> bank, I think you are going to have to look at one of the downloaded
> file's contents to see if there is anything obvious wrong.

Well, yes, but that's pretty useless unless you know what to expect.

Bob

Bob Smits, bob at rsmits.ca