Reconciliation Report & General Journal

Paul Openshaw paulopenshaw at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 24 08:11:28 EDT 2009

Hi Elizabeth, although Derek's reply was somewhat glib he was 'on the money'
and it just needed elaborating for you.

Many moons ago I trained as a British Chartered Accountant then worked for
several years as a Senior Internal Auditor for The Co-operative Wholesale
Society in the UK before running my own Limited Companies for 30 years.

In my opinion a reconciliation is the adjustment, harmonization and/or
settlement between 2 records of account created by 2 sources.

I find the Gnucash reconcile feature does this superbly. Having got your
Gnucash Bank account and the Bank's Statement (BS) in front of you click on
the reconcile button and enter the new date at which you wish to now
reconcile the two. (usually the last date on the BS)

The un-reconciled items since the last reconciliation appear in a window
(deposits and payments) and as you manually tick the item on the paper BS
you click the item on the reconciliation window. Hopefully all the items
agree and you end with '0' value un-reconciled. Any discrepancies you amend
or adjust accordingly along the way. Usually the BS shows items you have
forgotten so you just enter them in Gnucash.

You file the paper BS with your reconciliation ticks on it (we use a small
'r' in red, in the trade) and any amendment notes and this is your
'Reconciliation Record' and is acceptable (as far as I am aware) by all
fiscal authorities the world over. Your Gnucash Bank account shows the
reconciled items 'y' or 'n' so you can see at a glance where you are up to.

Hope this helps everyone

Paul Openshaw