Returned Payment, Returned Deposit

rshgeneral rshgeneral at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 27 00:46:23 EDT 2009

I've searched the forums and found a couple of relevant links, but not much
resolution to my issue.This seems to be merely an accounting question.

I've recorded a deposited check for a customer.  The check cleared, but then
the deposit was reversed a few days later due to a hold on the customer's
account.

I'd like to reflect this payment history on a customer report, but the
aforementioned links seem to indicate that this cannot be done.  So I'll
have to delete the payment.

Okay, this means the customer wont see the payment or the rejection of the
payment.  Its a minor irritant, but its acceptable. However, I'd like to at
least reflect the payment action on my checking account.  I've pondered a
dummy account (Returned Payments-Asset Account) to make this happen, but it
just seem clumsy. I'm wondering if someone has a better idea.  I'd like to
record something like this:

Post debit to Checking, transfer from (???-Credit to Returned Payments).
Post credit to Checking, transfer from (???-Debit to Returned Payments).

Returned Payments account would show offsetting transactions and have a 0
balance.
Checking account would reflect the relevant statement history and have no
net change.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A BETTER IDEA?