Opening a New Account with Existing Retained Earnings

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 27 12:57:54 EDT 2009

Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> writes:

> I might be wrong about that but can't see how you would do it, at
> least not in a straightforward* manner. Please understand that it's an
> issue  even when doing paper and ink bookkeeping in a "journalless"
> system (you can do two side splits via a journal entry -- in effect
> GnuCash and similar systems are like "cashbook" style accounting
> except can enter form any account.
>
> Are we talking about the same thing? By "two way" I don't mean an
> arbitrary number of splits on the debit side OR and arbitrary number
> of splits on the credit side but an arbitrary number of splits for
> both the credit and the debit side of a transaction.
>
> Michael
>
> * If it is possible I have a good idea HOW it might be done (I know
> how I would try to do it)

It's easily done.  Expand the transaction and just enter your splits.
you can put amounts on either the debit or credit side for each split.
You just need to make sure that at the end of the process the debits
equal the credits.

Note:  Don't use the 'enter' key.  Either tab off the end or use the
arrow keys to move between columns/rows.