Both 2.2.9 and 2.3.5 on Windows?

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Thu Sep 3 11:40:20 EDT 2009

On 09/03/2009 08:17 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Stuart McGraw<smcg4191 at frii.com>:
>>  I just installed Guncash-2.3.5 (Windows) to play with
>>  it a little.  I installed it to a different "Program Files"
>>  subdirectory than my existing 2.2.9 installation.  But
>>  after it installed, I can no longer start gnucash-2.2.9.
>>  When I try, I get an error message box that says,
>>  "Unspecified fatal error encountered, exiting", followed
>>  by another error message box that says, "Runtime error,
>>  ... This application has requested the Runtime to terminate
>>  in an unusual way..."  The problem seems to be that both
>>  versions of Gnucash seem to use the same USERPROFILE/.gconf/
>>  directory and the settings recorded there are not compatible
>>  between the two versions.
>>
>>  Is there some way I can tell the gnucash-2.3.5 install
>>  to use a different .gconf directory?  Or some other way
>>  to run two Gnucash versions without them stepping on
>>  each other?
>
> Sorry, no.
>
> They use the same registry keys to point to installation location.

I searched the registry for "gnucash" but saw nothing
that seemed relevant to the .gconf directory location.
Search for for ".gconf" turned up nothing and search
for "gconf" I don't think found anything (not totally
sure because I had to skip a billion "logconfig" entries.)

Perhaps the .gconf directory location is hardwired in
the code?

I guess I can just create a different user to test
2.3.5 but it would be a lot more convenient if I didn't
have to switch users to try out the new version since
comparing reports from each version is part of the
testing.