Both 2.2.9 and 2.3.5 on Windows?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 3 12:03:44 EDT 2009

> On 09/03/2009 08:17 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Stuart McGraw<smcg4191 at frii.com>:
>>>
>>>  I just installed Guncash-2.3.5 (Windows) to play with
>>>  it a little.  I installed it to a different "Program Files"
>>>  subdirectory than my existing 2.2.9 installation.  But
>>>  after it installed, I can no longer start gnucash-2.2.9.
>>>  When I try, I get an error message box that says,
>>>  "Unspecified fatal error encountered, exiting", followed
>>>  by another error message box that says, "Runtime error,
>>>  ... This application has requested the Runtime to terminate
>>>  in an unusual way..."  The problem seems to be that both
>>>  versions of Gnucash seem to use the same USERPROFILE/.gconf/
>>>  directory and the settings recorded there are not compatible
>>>  between the two versions.
>>>
>>>  Is there some way I can tell the gnucash-2.3.5 install
>>>  to use a different .gconf directory?  Or some other way
>>>  to run two Gnucash versions without them stepping on
>>>  each other?
>>
>> Sorry, no.
>>
>> They use the same registry keys to point to installation location.
>
> I searched the registry for "gnucash" but saw nothing
> that seemed relevant to the .gconf directory location.
> Search for for ".gconf" turned up nothing and search
> for "gconf" I don't think found anything (not totally
> sure because I had to skip a billion "logconfig" entries.)
>
> Perhaps the .gconf directory location is hardwired in
> the code?
>
> I guess I can just create a different user to test
> 2.3.5 but it would be a lot more convenient if I didn't
> have to switch users to try out the new version since
> comparing reports from each version is part of the
> testing.

If the .gnucash dir is the only problem then write two little batch
files to invoke gnucash.  Make gnucash229.bat copy (in the approprate
dir) .gnucash229 to .gnucash and run gnucash. Then after gnucash exits
copy it back again.  Similarly for 235.  I do the equivalent with
scripts in ubuntu and it works fine.  The only thing I have to
remember is not to close the later version with a database open (as
opposed to an xml file) otherwise 229 tries to open the db and does
not like it.  I presume the last used file info is stored other than
in .gnucash.  I am not sure whether in windows you have to do
something special in the batch file to make it wait till gnucash exits
before doing the copy back command.

On Windows does gnucash put any dlls in the system dirs?  If so have
any of those changed?  If so then this may also be a problem.

Colin