Quickfill Issues

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 10 11:07:18 EDT 2009

"David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> writes:

> It seems to me the real problem here is that the Quickfill database is
> adding the descriptions of imported transactions automatically.

The QuickFill doesn't care about how a transaction was entered.  There
is no memory that a transaction was entered by hand vs. entered via an
import.  In the end they are all just transactions.  The quickfill
system just takes all the transaction descriptions and puts them into a
list.

If you want to remove the "TACO BELL" from the quickfill then you need
to go edit every transaction that has "TACO BELL" and change it to "Taco
Bell".

> It really defeats the purpose of Quickfill to have spurious entries
> that force the user to fully type in the description a second time
> with an extra character at the end that you then have to delete
> out. There's not much that's "Quick" about that. It is quite
> frustrating to import a slew of transactions in 3 minutes, only to
> spend a half an hour re-typing the transactions in human case (with an
> extra character added).

It's not spurious at all!  The user has a transaction in the database
with the description of "TACO BELL", so GnuCash is being helpful.  How
is it supposed to know that you consider it "Spurious"?

> Is there any way to change this behavior? Perhaps at least an option
> to remove spurious entries from the list once they're there (something
> like Firefox's editable address bar dropdown)?

Sure, remove (or re-label) the transactions that have the "spurious"
description.