Quickfill Issues

Daniel Trezub daniel3ub at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 18:12:40 EDT 2009

Hi,

> > I didn't get a "Cash Flow Forecast" graph yet in Gnucash, for example.
>
> I'm not sure what this is..  How is it supposed to guess what will
> happen in the future?  Yes, it could guess based on your SXes, but not
> all SXes have well-defined values, some are just variables.  The report
> would need to ask how to run each SX.

That's why it's called "forecast". It estimates your cash flow, based solely
on the SX. When you save a SX on MS$, you can tell it to "estimate values".
I am not sure, but I think it looks at your past transactions for that SX to
estimate the next weeks or months.
There is an option, also, to use your budget values to build the "cash flow
forecast".

Still speaking about the budget, is there a place to see totals for my
budget? The Budget Report is quite useless, as it just puts the budget
window in a report.

> > Or a "Top Five Expenses Categories" report.
>
> I suspect one could use the transaction report or P&L as a basis for
> this.  The P&L with a sort-order by total, perhaps?  And then a limit on
> the number of entries?
>
> > Or two pie charts, side by side, comparing the current and the last
> month, for
> > a given account and its sub-accounts.
>
> This you can do now.  Create a multi-column (custom) report and then put
> the two pie-charts into the two columns configured with your two months.

YES, great! Thanks!

> > I was planning on discussing this issues here next week or later, so I
> could
> > then fill in the enhancement requests. Thanks for putting this up earlier
> :)
>
> You're welcome.
>
> We're always looking at ways to enhance GnuCash, but you have to keep in
> mind that just presenting good ideas is not enough.  We need those ideas
> to get transformed into code too.  You can't release an idea ;)

Well, since the majority of users are not programmers, you should expect
that the ideas would outnumber the patches :P

Daniel