making column width stick

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 17:08:33 EDT 2009

Richard Ullger said the following at 09/19/2009 01:56 PM :
> Hi,
>
> The way to make this work is as follows:
>
> The column widths are only stored in gconf when a register is closed. So
> set the column widths you desire in a register window and then close
> that register. Do not close any other registers you may already have
> open.
>
> Any register you now open will use the new column widths. If you keep
> many registers open, to save you having to close each one and reopen it
> to use the new column widths, instead close gnucash and restart it. When
> gnucash restarts it will use the new column widths for all registers.

Nope. Sorry, but that's exactly the problem. That simply doesn't work. Not
here, anyway. I spent a long time trying various experiments in an effort
to make the column widths stick before finally giving up and subscribing
and posting here; I couldn't find anything that worked.

Just to be completely certain, I just tested, following exactly your
instructions. The new widths were NOT used when I reopened gnucash.

<IGNORABLE COMMENT>
FWIW, as a user, even if it did work the way you describe, I don't think
that conforms to a reasonable expectation of how it SHOULD work. I would
expect the sequence "close gnucash, start gnucash" to put everything back
exactly the way it was when I closed. And if that didn't work, then I would
definitely expect that hitting the SAVE button before closing would do
that. But I don't want to start an argument. I just came here to solve my
problem, since I was getting fed up of having to change the column widths
every time I used the program.
</IGNORABLE COMMENT>

  Doc

--