Account Balances Louse-up? .

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 19:38:33 EDT 2010

Maf. King wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 April 2010 00:58:49 Felix Karpfen wrote:
>
>> But I have overreached <myself | my understanding of Gnucash features>.
>>
>> 24 hours after recording correct entries in my Income and Expenses
>> Accounts, Gnucash automatically transferred these new entries to
>> "Equity" and left me with zero balances in the Income/Expenditure
>> (sub)-accounts.
>
> Hmm, strange.  Did you run Tools -> Close Book by mistake?

Spot-on!  I over-reached myself :(

> Can you open old backups (look in the same directory as your main data file,
> and look for <basename>.yymmddhhmmss.xac files), going back in time until you
> get back to some sensible data?

Did that. It worked like a charm!  Thank you

So now to the real questions (relating to what I wanted to achieve):

In my part of the world, the "Financial Year" ends on 30th June.
Presumably that is the date for running "Close Book".

So what do I run at the end of each month to summarize my
"Income/Expenses" track-record of the past month?  And can these
summaries be (a) saved and (b) combined to give 12 months of
summaries?

Felix Karpfen

PS: For the record,  I am using Gnucash solely for my "home-accounts";
I am too old for business transactions and for money-market gambles.
--
Felix Karpfen