Account Balances Louse-up? .

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 02:23:20 EDT 2010

Ooh, it sounds like you made some work for yourself. The Close Books routine just creates a big Zeroing Transaction as of a given date; to remove the effects of this process, you only had to delete the special zeroing transactions (there are two: one for expense accounts, one for income).

As for Monthly Income reports, try running the Income Statement report and changing the options to cover the accounts and time period you want. [BTW, in Gnucash, you have to run a report first, and then edit its options.] Once you have a report with the information you want, most people I've heard on this list export the report information as HTML or to a PDF file for archiving (you'd need to do that for recordkeeping purposes, as far as I understand, anyway). If you want to save a report with its settings, you have to rename the report first. Then you can add the report.

I also believe that there are ways to set your preferences so that your financial period covers the time frame you want. That way, you can easily set up reports to cover YTD information, regardless of how you define "Y".

HTH,
David