Need to recover from system crash (more information)

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Apr 8 03:10:45 EDT 2010

On Thursday 8 April 2010, Michael J. O'Donnell wrote:
> This is followup information to a note that I posted a few minutes ago.
>
> I installed gnucash on another machine running the same version of
> Ubuntu Karmic Koala. There was no error in the installation, and I
> started gnucash successfully both from a terminal window, and from the
> Applications menu. It did not complain about paths, but it gave the same
>
> first message that I got from the problematic system:
> > odonnell at Celionati:~$ gnucash
> > gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
> > configure time.

This message is not something to worry about in itself. It just means that the
Ubuntu packager has disabled binary relocation for GnuCash. Don't ask me what
that means exactly, but I have seen this in the GnuCash code and my system
(Mandriva) has been emitting this message for as long as I have been using
GnuCash.

> When I tried to start up remotely in a ssh terminal session, with X11
> forwarding, I *did* get the complaint about paths, and things hung with
> lots of terminal output that I did not wade through.

Which computer was actually running gnucash and which one was displaying it ?

My first impression of this problem is that the computer with the hard disk
crash still has some corrupted files somewhere, which may not necessarily come
from the gnucash packages. Gnucash has lots of dependencies. If any of those
dependencies have corrupted files, you could get strange issues like this.

You didn't mention if you get the same install error when installing on the
good machine.

Anyway, the error you get during installation is emitted by guile, not gnucash
itself. I don't have access to an Ubuntu system, and I don't know what post
install actions it does. But it seems there is some guile script being called
which results in this error.

Perhaps one of the devs is running Ubuntu and could chime in here with more
accurate suggestions.

Based on your information, I would try and reinstall guile and slib on the bad
machine and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, could you
* start gnucash from the command line
* report any messages you get (other than the binreloc one)
* post the contents of /tmp/gnucash.trace after the crash
* do the good and the bad system have the exact same versions of guile and
gnucash ?

Geert