Need to recover from system crash (more information)

Michael J. O'Donnell michael_odonnell at acm.org
Thu Apr 8 20:51:44 EDT 2010

Geert,

Thanks for the suggestion. I reinstalled slib and several packages
associated with guile. Gnucash is running fine now. I had no idea to
suspect guile and slib, and I would have wasted a lot of time poking at
gconf without your suggestion.

This is probably not worth any more effort. If there is anything here
for the Gnucash developers, it MIGHT be to invoke Guile in such a way
that the error is clearly attributed to Guile. But that may or may not
be reasonable to do, depending on the structure of the code.

Geert Janssens wrote:
> Anyway, the error you get during installation is emitted by guile, not
> gnucash itself. I don't have access to an Ubuntu system, and I don't
> know what post install actions it does. But it seems there is some
> guile script being called which results in this error.
> Based on your information, I would try and reinstall guile and slib on the bad
> machine and see if that helps.

Thanks very much. Financial chaos may be pushed back for a few more
days, and I might get my tax return in on time now that I'm back on my
gnucash ;-)

Mike O'Donnell