I need help

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 8 10:21:17 EDT 2010

ramsey hussain <ramsey.hussain at gmail.com> writes:

> I have been happily using gnucash for a while, and appreciate and love
> the program.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to enter
> split transactions, however.  If I follow the tutorial in the help
> file -to the letter- I simply get weird results and cannot fathom what
> is happening.  I have successfully entered a few split transactions,
> but I did it thru trial and error, without any idea how I arrived at a
> transaction that looked reasonable.  Is there some secret that I don't
> understand yet?  Do I need to sign up for a mailing list?

Yes, the secret is to enter the split for the current account FIRST.
Generally, if you're working from your asset account, that would be the
total.

What I do is start entering as a regular, basic transaction, enter in
one of the expense accounts in the transfer column, put the total into
the credit column, and *then* expand the transaction into Split mode.

Works like a charm here.