I need help

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 18:24:37 EDT 2010

Hi,

On 3/28/10 8:06 PM, ramsey hussain said:
> I have been happily using gnucash for a while, and appreciate and love
> the program.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to enter
> split transactions, however.  If I follow the tutorial in the help
> file -to the letter- I simply get weird results

What results do you get, exactly? Could you attach a screenshot with
accounts/numbers blurred out, maybe? Or from some transactions in a
bogus test file.

> and cannot fathom what is happening.  I have successfully entered a
> few split transactions, but I did it thru trial and error, without any
> idea how I arrived at a transaction that looked reasonable.  Is there
> some secret that I don't understand yet?  Do I need to sign up for a
> mailing list?

I always enter all my transactions as splits in the General Ledger
(Tools > General Ledger). Well, unless it's literally a one-line
transaction like a credit card payment.

HTH,

Yawar