Installation/startup issues with gnucash in openSuSE-11.1

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 8 21:30:59 EDT 2010

Gnucash users -

I just installed gnucash-2.2.7-1.18 and (presumably) its dependencies
using the Yast system manager. (Yast claims all dependencies are
satisfied.) When I try to start it, I very briefly see the splash screen,
then gnucash dies. Starting it from a console I see the error messages:

---
jmills at muskrat:~> gnucash
gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
configure time.

ERROR: In procedure open-file:
ERROR: No such file or directory: "/usr/share/guile/site/slib/mklibcat"
---

Checking for the missing file, I see:
jmills at muskrat:~> ls /usr/share/guile/site/slib/mklibcat*
/usr/share/guile/site/slib/mklibcat.scm

Is this the file needed? If so, why is it not found?

Any suggestions for getting gnucash 'on the air' will be greatly
appreciated.

TIA.
  - John Mills