From Windows to Linux

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Apr 9 14:02:16 EDT 2010

Jim, Gnucashiers -

When I set up a dual-boot system I generally create a FAT32 partition
(called "Transit" or some such) to hand files between Linux and MsWin
environments. In fact I just passed a gnucash account file from Linux to
WinXP this way and had no problem opening it with gnucash in Windows. I
don't recall any _major_ conflicts in such a handoff, but I'm sure can be
issues. (Properties of FAT32 and *NIX files are quite different and don't
really cross-map.)

The reason I've used FAT32 format is that historically Linux has not been
able to reliably write into an NTFS partition. I understand this may have
changed with a recent file-system library but I have never tried to write
from Linux to an NTFS file system. It would be handy with large files
such as video recordings.

  - Mills