I need help

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 16:08:18 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Mike or Penny Novack
<stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:

>> Yes, the secret is to enter the split for the current account FIRST.
>> Generally, if you're working from your asset account, that would be the
>> total.
>>

> More generally (the "current account" might not even be involved in the
> transaction).
>
> I find the easiest way to do the split (a one way split) is to enter from
> whatever account will have the largest amount, the amount being split among
> several accounts on the other side of the transaction. When you get that
> amount showing (on the other side) specify the first of the accounts on the
> split side and change the amount to what goes for that account and enter.
> Will now show the remaining amount as unbalanced, respecify that to the next
> account of the split, change the amount to whatever goes into that account,
> repeat till the last time you just specify the account as the amount will be
> right.
>
> Michael
>
> PS -- I have not yet had a reason to try a transaction split on both sides,
> don't even know if possible using this software.

I'm not sure what you mean by "split on both sides" but splits can be
quite complicated, involving more than one asset account, liability
account or expense account, if needed.

SO if I go to a restaurant and pay for the meal with a credit card put
put a cash tip on the table, the resulting transaction might look like
(imagine the numbers on different sides of the register):

Expenses:Dining   $30.00
  Liabilities:Credit Card1  $25.00
  Assets:Current Assets:Cash in Wallet: $5.00

If in the same meal Fred gave me $10 for his portion, I can account
for that in the same transaction.