Read-only transactions; imbalances

Paul A. abrahams at acm.org
Fri Apr 9 16:15:47 EDT 2010

"Paul A." <abrahams at acm.org> writes:

> I guess my earlier question got lost in the rest of the discussion.  Under
> what circumstances does GnuCash create read-only transactions, and why?

Well, it depends on your definition of "read only".  One possibility is
that the transactions are all reconciled ('y' in the 'R' column) and at
some point gnucash popped up a dialog asking if you wanted to modify a
reconciled transaction and you clicked 'cancel' while also selecting
"remember this".  You can reset this warning by selecting Actions ->
Reset Warnings.

I meant "read-only" in the specific sense of the transactions that GnuCash
considers read-only when you try to delete an account.  I got those when
importing from Quicken, but I wondered if they also might somehow be created
by GnuCash itself.

A side comment: I think double-entry a la GnuCash is far superior to the
Quicken single-entry system, but it takes some getting used to.  So far I
haven't had to deal with the paradoxes involved with multi-currency
bookkeeping, when an account can seem to go out of balance all on its own
because of exchange rate fluctuations.