Installation/startup issues with gnucash in openSuSE-11.1

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Apr 9 20:52:44 EDT 2010

Derek -

Almost ...
'$ sudo gnucash --nofile' likewise splashed and died. '$ su -l' followed
by '# gnucash --nofile' started OK but left a subsequent user startup
unresponsive. (It didn't just splash and die, though.)

What worked: I started 'gnucash' from a console window and named a real
account file to open (mine from the previous calendar year):
  '$ gnucash <account_file> &'

I was then able to operate on that file, export the accounts, close
'gnucash', then re-open gnucash from the 'start' menu. Seems to work fine
now that the "pump has been primed".

Would it be feasible to post a simple 'dummy' account file that users
could download to start working? Apparently the '--nofile' option didn't
achieve this, at least not in my setup.

Thanks for the help. Maybe this will help others answer what may become a
FAQ.

  - Mills