On OSX 10.6.3 new install gnucash starts in japanese or chinese.

inpregna gabor at inpregna.com
Sat Apr 10 19:23:04 EDT 2010

I am evaluating gnucash and have installed the 2.2.9 version on my iMac and
on my Macbook pro. Both machines are running OSX 10.6.3
On the iMac, gnucash installed without problems. On the 13" macbook pro,
after the installation, gnucash runs in japanese (it maybe chinese, I can't
make out the ideograms).
On both machines, OSX is running in english with swiss french keyboard. I
uninstalled gnucash and have removed all addtional language packs on the
MacBook Pro,  but this did not seem to have any influence on the new
installation and gnucash started up again with the ideograms.

Any suggestion?