Can't import OFX file generated by my bank

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 12 22:57:41 EDT 2010

On Apr 12, 2010, at 8:45 AM, tuliouel wrote:

> I'm trying to import my month transaction records from my bank. It is
> in OFX format, which is compatible with GNUCASH. All I do is hit
> "File" > "Import" > "Import OFX/QFX". Then I select the file and then
> a BLANK window apeers. I should apeer a list of transactions to
> import, either marked as green, yellow or red, but instead nothing
> shows. I verified the file and it is ok. What should be happening? I
> have the account added to my profile. I tried to change it's number,
> so it is exactly coincident to the numbers in the file (just added
> some zeroes to the left to make it exact the sabe as in the file), but
> it doesn't work.
> Can anybody help me?
> Thanks. http://n4.nabble.com/file/n1837068/duvida.jpg
> --

The fact that the transaction matcher window opens suggests that you have assigned an account previously for imports from this bank. Have you completed an import previously?

The fact that the transaction matcher window is empty means that gnucash sees no new transactions to import. The most likely cause of this failure is that the bank is sending incorrectly constructed ofx files.

Look at the individual transaction ID's, something like:
<FITID>200805060070</FITID>
In ofx, all of those FITID numbers need to be unique for that account. Forever. If you can look at downloads from two different time periods, check to see that the bank isn't just making the transaction ID's unique for a single download.

When you import an ofx file, gnucash looks at the FITIDs. If it already has a transaction in the data file with that ID, gnucash rejects that transaction in the current import because it is a duplicate of a transaction already imported.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net