Gnucash can't find data files

JOHN WALDROP johnlwaldrop66 at msn.com
Thu Apr 15 22:11:28 EDT 2010

I have been using gnucash for a couple of years as treasurer of an organization and it has worked well for me until a few days ago.

When I opened gnucash I received an error message that it could not find a .doc file.  I put the file in the directory where gnucash was looking and received the message that the file could not be parsed.  This word document has simple code for what accounts are open, etc.

There are some old .xac files located in C:\progfiles\gnucash\data, but they are only 1 or 2kb in size.  These same files are located in C:\users\john\.gnucash\books.

What happened?  Why can't I access my data? I tried to use files that had been backed up about a month ago, but they looked and acted the same.

I am using version 2.2.9 for windows.

Thanks for your response.

John Waldrop