One customer paying for another customer invoice?

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Mon Apr 19 17:35:27 EDT 2010

On Friday 16 April 2010, edog5948 wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Thanks for the additional way to think of this.
>
> Your recap isn't quite what happened though.
>
> Customer A invoiced $X.
> Customer B invoiced $Y.
>
> Customer B paid Customer A $Y.
> Customer A paid me $(X+Y).
>
> Thus, I've been paid fully, but Customer B never paid me directly.
>
> Just don't know how to handle reporting this in gnucash.

In such a situation I would focus on the invoices instead of the customers.
You received a payment for invoice X and for invoice Y.

So presuming you are using the business functions,
- find invoice X,
- process payment for amount X,
- find invoice Y
- process a payment for amount Y.

If you wish you can add a note somewhere indicating the invoice was paid by
another customer.

Just one possible suggestion.

Regards,

Geert