One customer paying for another customer invoice?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Apr 19 17:55:57 EDT 2010

On Monday 19 April 2010 22:35:27 Geert Janssens wrote:
> On Friday 16 April 2010, edog5948 wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > Thanks for the additional way to think of this.
> >
> > Your recap isn't quite what happened though.
> >
> > Customer A invoiced $X.
> > Customer B invoiced $Y.
> >
> > Customer B paid Customer A $Y.
> > Customer A paid me $(X+Y).
> >
> > Thus, I've been paid fully, but Customer B never paid me directly.
> >
> > Just don't know how to handle reporting this in gnucash.
>
> In such a situation I would focus on the invoices instead of the customers.
> You received a payment for invoice X and for invoice Y.
>
> So presuming you are using the business functions,
> - find invoice X,
> - process payment for amount X,
> - find invoice Y
> - process a payment for amount Y.
>
> If you wish you can add a note somewhere indicating the invoice was paid by
> another customer.
>
> Just one possible suggestion.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Hi,

That is certainly one solution, but if there is just one payment of (X+Y) in
the current account, you will have to pick that up manually when you
reconcile.

The only way I can see to do this "properly" is to Process Payment for X and Y
separately, as Geert suggests, but place the payment into a temporary
account, and then aggregate it and transfer to the Bank account as one txn.
(similar to previous discussions on this list about handling transfers with
different clearing dates etc.)

HTH,
Maf.