One customer paying for another customer invoice?

Pablo Francesca rshgeneral at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 18:37:57 EDT 2010

Another proper way of doing it, although gc doesn't handle it well is to essentially create a debit memo.

Here is what I wrote last month:

"Well it looks like this problem is simpler than I had envisioned.
Ideally I would like the customer report to list "Debit Memo" under the
Type column. This appears to be impossible without editing the xml file
(a posted invoice cannot be edited and it appears any invoice not
created via New Invoice dialogue wont report properly).

However,
even if the Type column does not indicate Debit Memo, this is still okay
 as long as the reporting is not broken and income is not inflated.

Well
 since those are my parameters, this can be done quite easily, just
create a new invoice, note the memo field as debit memo and make the
Income Account account a non-Income account. (Assets: Undeposited
Funds).

Does this solve my problem? Yes, did it leave me
temporarily confused? Yes.

This explanation is just for any other
 people whose brains get stuck like mine.  When you create an invoice it
 appears the debit part of the accounting transaction is handled at the
end when the Question dialog pops up.  It is that field that determines
what account is debited.  This explains why it is limited by default to
A/R.  For some reason I had always assumed that this debit was taking
place immediately after I filled out the New Invoice dialog.  The credit
 part of the transaction is handled by the account listed in the Income
Account.  This explains why it allows you more freedom is assigning this
 credit entry.  Again I had always ignorantly assumed that this was
handled by some process hidden from the user.

So in conclusion,
creating an invoice does not automatically have any effect on income
reporting, it will only effect income reporting if it is actually
assigned to an Income account via the Income Account field."

So you need to create a Debit Memo for the paying customer and a credit Memo for the non-paying customer (A credit memo is just a payment, but it in this case you will credit A/R and debit your temporary asset holding account).  This will ensure the income and customer A/R reporting stays clean. In fact, this would be a perfect solution if gc had Debit Memo as an A/R option. This  solution still involves a temporary account;  however, it ensures that the payment stays whole.  i.e. a customer account reflects a true payment history.  It also ensures that any deviation from that history is documented as a debit memo (dummy invoice) or a credit memo (dummy payment). This method is more complicated than that noted below but it has the additional advantages noted above.

One problem I noticed however, I created my accounts from scratch and had no trouble crediting an asset account.  Unfortunately, when I was working on a demo for you it appeared I  was unable to credit an asset account while creating an invoice using default accounts from gc.  Strange.