Are Small Business TXF Categories Available in Mac Gnucash?

J. Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 15:27:46 EDT 2010

See comments below:

> From: John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
> To: Gnutopia <lorenzo68 at yahoo.com>
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:21:45 -0700
> Subject: Re: Are Small Business TXF Categories Available in Mac Gnucash?
>
> On Apr 17, 2010, at 5:40 PM, Gnutopia wrote:
>

>> I'm running Gnucash 2.2.9 on Snow Leopard.
>>
>> I am trying to set it up for a small business in the US. When I try to
>> assign accounts to relevant TXF categories, I only see categories suitable
>> for a US individual tax return. Are small business TXF categories available?
>>
>> Gnucash.org implies that there are TXF categories for other types of
>> returns:
>> http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/help/set-tax-options.html
>>
>> I'll quote the relevant link text here:
>>
>> Begin Quote:
>> "The Income Tax Identity must be set in order to assign codes to individual
>> accounts. Click 'Edit' to set the identity. The Tax Name is optional. If
>> entered, it will be printed at the top of the report. A 'type' must be
>> selected in order to activate the tax category selections. The choices are:
>>
>> *Individual, Joint, etc. - Files US Form 1040 Tax Return
>> *Partnership - Files US Form 1065 Tax Return
>> *Corporation - Files US Form 1120 Tax Return
>> *S Corporation - Files US Form 1120S Tax Return
>> *None - No Income Tax Options Provided"
>> End Quote
>>
>> Where do you set the "Income Tax Identity" of your corporation in Gnucash?
>> It's not under Properties, Preferences, the "Edit > Tax Options" or "Edit >
>> Account" screen.
>>

> I don't think this is actually supported in Gnucash, regardless of platform. Even the txf support for personal taxes is a bit limited.
>
> Derek?
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

The currently available stable release 2.2.9 is limited in offering
TXF US Income Tax support for only individuals (as well as having
other limitations). The development version, which will come out in
due course as 2.4, has already been enhanced to provide the support
you noted above. The documentation you quote has been updated for that
future release but does not apply to 2.2.9. The major limitation that
will still apply for the new release deals with not supporting capital
gains transaction exports or reporting.

I guess this is an unusual case where the documentation is ahead of
the product rather than lagging behind as is usually the case. I don't
know if documentation is provided on the Mac (I assume it is) but if
you look at the installed version of the documentation (rather than
the on-line version) it should correspond to the capabilities of your
installed version of gnucash.

Alex