dbi.h missing

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Wed Apr 21 20:43:08 EDT 2010

Probably should have been the gnucash-devel list, but this is OK.

dbi.h is in a package called libdbi-devel.  It provides a software API for accessing a database in a database-independent manner.  One change from 2.3.11 to 2.3.12 is that the default was changed from --disable-dbi to --enable-dbi i.e. by default, it will try to build the dbi backend.  The dbi backend to gnucash is used to access a gnucash file in an sqlite3, mysql or postgresql database.

"apt-get build-dep gnucash" would not know about gnucash's need for libdbi-devel package because the version of gnucash in ubuntu is 2.2.9 and the dbi backend was added in the (unstable) 2.3.X series which will soon be (stable) 2.4.0.  Once ubuntu has 2.4.0, "apt-get build-dep gnucash" will probably include libdbi-devel.

Note that libdbi provides a software API, but you then need a special libdbi-related driver for each database.  I don't remember the names of them off-hand, but they are something like dbd-sqlite3, dbd-mysql and dbd-pgsql.
 Phil
---------
I used to be a hypochondriac AND a kleptomaniac. So I took something for it.