About cash flow forecast

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Thu Apr 22 18:05:53 EDT 2010

Hi Daniel,

sorry but I've been busy and distracted.

I'm including gnucash-user mailing list because we may get some helpful
feedback and ideas.

If you were going to be the person who creates this feature, how would
users use it.  I assume it would be possible to include a projection
from previous transactions.  In other words, if I have a property tax
bill which comes 3 times a year (true in my case), then I can assume
this is true for the future, and can assume some sort of increase (X%)
each year.  I assume scheduled transactions could be included.  Would
they always be included?  What about other transactions which aren't
that regular.  Example: I spend $X (roughly) per week for groceries, or
$Y every 1 1/2 months for some other supply.  How would these be
entered?  Probably for each expense account, you would want a list of
items, each of which has description, start date, frequency and amount
(e.g. "Water softener salt", Jan 1/2010, 6 weeks, $100.00).  Given this
list, gnucash could figure out the cash flow.  Scheduled transactions
would merge into this by providing 1) an item for the projection, and 2)
an automated way to enter the real expense when it happens.

What controls would the user have?  Example: I've worked with an
accounting package which allowed you to 1) copy one budget to another,
2) increase certain accounts in a budget by X%, and other operations.
What operations would be available?

Do you want to be able to have multiple cash projections for what-if
analysis?  What kinds of reports or graphs do you want to be able to
generate?  For each report or graph, what options are available?

This is the kind of information we need.  Once the feature is thought
out, the developers can write the code to make the feature act that way.

Phil