About cash flow forecast

Daniel Trezub daniel3ub at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 19:36:02 EDT 2010

Great!

My experience with this kind of feature comes from MS Money, so I think my
vision is very related to MM's features. Keep in mind the following is my
particular vision.

I'd like to have the following views/reports for this feature:
1. A report showing the values for all selected accounts month by month
(just like the actual budget view) or week by week, but for the months/weeks
to come.
2. A line graph illustrating the above.

This is the way GC would get the data to populate the views:
1. Scheduled transactions: GC would look at scheduled transactions and
simply add them to the data.
Since SXs already have a possible ending date, GC would take this into
account.
The user should be able to select if a SX would be included in the Forecast
upon SX creation, with the default to 'yes'.

2. Previous transactions: here we have three types of previous transactions:

a) the ones that occur regularly every once (i.e. the club's fee in january
and june, the paycheck every 5th of the month)): This type would already be
covered by GC as they will already be entered in the SX (see the "c" type
below)

b) the ones that occur frequently but not regularly (i.e. groceries
expenses, and almost every expense that does not fit in "a"): GC would look
at the previous X months (being X selected by the user) and calculate the
average ammount for this accounts. In my oppinion, an weekly average would
be good. This average would then be added to the data for the Forecast.
Let's say I've spend a total of $500 in groceries in the last 5 months. GC
would take this total and calculate an average of $25/week ($100/month, 4
weeks/month) for my groceries expenses.

c) the ones that happen once in a lifetime (i.e. that don't have a defined
frequency, as lottery wins, gifts, etc): The ideal cenario would be that GC
would be aware of these one-time transactions and would ask the user if they
would be added to the Forecast. If this is possible, then GC would be able
to ask if the user would like to add the transaction as a SX, and then they
would fall under the "a" type above.

The most automated this Forecast is, the better. This is why I don't like
the idea of adding new dialogs or making the user enter new data into
his/her existing GC file. I think the Forecast can work well with minimum
user decisions.

Upon creating the Forecast Report/Graph, the user should be presented with a
dialog asking:
1. the accounts to include in the Forecast (or use the Accounts properties
for the Forecast - i.e. each account could include an option to add/remove
it from the Forecasts)
2. the SXs to be included in the Forecast (or use the SX properties - i.e.
each SX could include an option to add/remove it from the Forecasts)
3. how many months should GC look back to gather data
4. if the report would be monthly or weekly
5. the ending date of the forecast

A bonus would be if GC could look at the specified budget and get data from
there :)

This is my vision. Any ideas? Comments? Criticism?

=====
Daniel Trezub
http://www.gameblogs.com.br