Sharing Database - Windows/XP

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Apr 24 10:15:23 EDT 2010

On Apr 24, 2010, at 5:32 AM, Robert Heller wrote:

> At Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:25:49 -0400 Phillip Richcreek <pwrichcreek at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Geert,
>>
>> I had just summarized and re-stated my question before seeing your
>> reply; so I did not (could not!) incorporate your reply in my
>> restatement. I think it does, however, go to the heart of the issue.
>> I'm no Windows expert, but I believe there are locking mechanisms
>> available for the ntfs file system that (I believe) Windows/XP uses in
>> the limited network environment that I am running.
>
> 'NFS' (as mentioned below) is a *UNIX* network file system (sharing
> files across multiple *unix* computers on a network).

NFS is a platform-independent TCP/IP remote mount protocol. It has been implemented on just about every operating system for which TCP/IP has, including Microsoft Windows. True, it's commonly provided with unix-like systems including Linux and the BSD, but I have used it on Microsoft Windows (both DOS-based and NT), VAX VMS, TOPS-20,  VM/CMS, OS/400, and PrimeOS.

(Yes, I'm old.)

Regards,
John Ralls