Sharing Database - Windows/XP

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Apr 24 11:39:23 EDT 2010

At Sat, 24 Apr 2010 07:15:23 -0700 John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2010, at 5:32 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
>
> > At Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:25:49 -0400 Phillip Richcreek <pwrichcreek at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Geert,
> >>
> >> I had just summarized and re-stated my question before seeing your
> >> reply; so I did not (could not!) incorporate your reply in my
> >> restatement. I think it does, however, go to the heart of the issue.
> >> I'm no Windows expert, but I believe there are locking mechanisms
> >> available for the ntfs file system that (I believe) Windows/XP uses in
> >> the limited network environment that I am running.
> >
> > 'NFS' (as mentioned below) is a *UNIX* network file system (sharing
> > files across multiple *unix* computers on a network).
>
> NFS is a platform-independent TCP/IP remote mount protocol. It has
> been implemented on just about every operating system for which TCP/IP
> has, including Microsoft Windows. True, it's commonly provided with
> unix-like systems including Linux and the BSD, but I have used it on
> Microsoft Windows (both DOS-based and NT), VAX VMS, TOPS-20,  VM/CMS,
> OS/400, and PrimeOS.

Yes, this is all true.  NFS is *native* to most UNIX and UNIX-variants
(eg is a basic part of all Linux kernels and the user-mode utilites
related to NFS are a pretty standard part of any Linux distro and are
commonly installed by default).

It is unlikely that a network of only Microsoft Windows machines would
be using NFS.  NFS is not normally a part of the Microsoft Windows
installation.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933