Gnucash preferences not being stored/read

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Apr 27 09:25:27 EDT 2010

> Hi.
>
> I have a problem with Gnucash for Windows 2.2.9 - remembering any of
> my preferences (e.g. recently used files, tips window, new accounts
> list set up window etc.). I understand that these settings are stored
> under C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\.gconf\ . I can see the folder
> and the settings relevant to Gnucash in it but Gnucash does not appear
> to be reading this. If I delete the \.gconf folder I find that it does
> not make any difference - it is not re-created at application start up
> time, nor if I change any settings from the preferences dialogue box
> or even if I uninstall/re-install Gnucash again after deleting the
> folder.
>
> Is this folder definitely where Gnucash stores preferences? When does
> Gnucash normally create this folder? How would I get Gnucash to
> remember my preferences again?
>
> Many thanks.
> Mark

I have this problem too, but I know WHY in my case (and how I could fix it)

Mark, what is your Windows user ID? (what you use to log in to Windows)
That can be the problem as there are characters legal in a Windows name
that are not legal in one of the "outside" things that GnuCash uses.
Your log in ID gets used as part of the path name. The GnuCash team
can't fix that as doesn't "own" that part and the "politics"* of the
open source world might be preventing the issue from being addressed.

Michael

* In this case, that some of the open source world is hostile to Windows
-- the problem wouldn't arise in the Linux world as those characters
then not legal in a name. I'm in the unfortunate reverse position where
I can't feel that I can recommend (organizational) use of an app unless
it can run under Windows.