Addition of non-profit accounts

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Apr 27 16:25:27 EDT 2010

>I suspect he's asking for an account chart template for NPOs, so that he
>can File -> New -> New File and choose "NPO Account Chart".
>
>If someone donated such an example account set it would be included.
>(hint hint) ;-)
>
>-derek

Yes, that is probably what he is asking for BUT non-profits are as
different from each other in that regard as they are from other sorts of
entities. I rather seriously doubt that his NPO and any of the ones for
which I keep the books would share even 50% of their accounts (mine
don't with each other). Even where accounts similar the structure
desired could be very different depending on what information is deemed
useful. Most of the accounts that they would have in common are the
sorts of things (like "checking account", "savings account") that they
have in common with other sorts of entities that aren't NPOs.

In other words, I suspect a skeleton useful for non-profits in general
would contain far too many accounts in the basic chart, ones that THIS
non-profit would have no use for. I'd much rather hand add twenty
accounts than hand remove two hundred.

For almost any entity (non-profit or not) expecting to have both useful
information (for organizational purposes) AND directly what you need for
your filings without any math is too much to ask of any general purpose
package. Remember, the Feds and whatever state are unlikely to want
exactly the same line items, there are lots of states, and GnuCash isn't
"for US use only" so think of each country that has requirements. You
set up your accounts so that the information you need will be AVAILABLE,
not necessarily without adding certain items, subtracting certain items,
etc.

Michael