Non-Profit Donations

Pablo Francesca rshgeneral at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 27 18:05:10 EDT 2010

Since non-profits happen to be the topic de jour, I thought I might be able to pick some brains.

How does one even handle donations in gc?

The first problem I encounter (besides having to deal with invoices and customer terminology, which doesn't make sense for my organization) is how to handle a donation.  Using customer payment doesn't seem to work if you don't have any valid post-to accounts.

Okay, that seems to imply we need to do some manual account entries. So I credit an income account called Donations and debit a bank account called Checking.

So a donor wants to know to know how much they have donated for the year? Hmm, lets try a customer report, will that work?  Nope, in fact it crashes my gc repeatedly (2.2.9 on XP) after I select a customer.  While I didn't expect it to work, the crash was a surprise.

So I'm guessing that any customer reporting done for fund-accounting that does not use the A/R design of gc need to be customized. Is this true?