Gnucash preferences not being stored/read

Mark Jones authentic8 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 16:38:34 EDT 2010

On 28/04/2010 13:22, Mark Jones wrote:
> I have a problem with Gnucash for Windows 2.2.9 - remembering any of
> my preferences (e.g. recently used files, tips window, new accounts
> list set up window etc.). I understand that these settings are stored
> under C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\.gconf\ . I can see the folder
> and the settings relevant to Gnucash in it but Gnucash does not appear
> to be reading this.
> [...]

Thanks for the replies so far. In the absence of a reason for why
Gnucash stopped picking up settings from the .gconf folder, could anyone
tell me how I could just get a fresh version recreated on my system?
Even when I uninstall Gnucash and delete the folder it doesn't get
recreated again when I re-install Gnucash. I have also tried setting up
a new fake set of accounts and changing some preferences but no .gconf
folder is created.

Does Gnucash normally recreate a base settings folder at start up, or
re-installation, time if it's missing? At least knew if it was supposed
to do that, I'd have something to go on. It obviously created it once so
if I knew when it is supposed to so I could try to get it to do it again.

Looking at the contents of my .gconf folder, there are several
subfolders named after particular categories of settings, and in each
subfolder is also a single settings file called %gconf.xml. All these
files look healthy to me and examining the contents I can see my
settings in them which look as they should (e.g. the settings file in
the "history" folder contains a reference to my accounts). The only
thing I am slightly suspicious of is the settings file under the top
folder "apps" is empty.

Would it help if I sent a zipped copy of the settings folder to someone?
(As far as I can tell there's no confidential data in it and it's a
small size.)

Thanks.
Mark