Automatic updates

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Aug 2 23:49:27 EDT 2010

On Aug 2, 2010, at 2:20 PM, John Northcott wrote:

> Dear sirs,  Yse I am new to LINUX, but have found my way to the terminal
> screen and can get myself as a superuser.  I can also get myself to the
> library /usr/bin.  What I do not know is what do I type in to run a program
> (gnc-fq-update)  I am anxious to see if I can get prices of stocks listed on
> the Toronto Stock Exchange ( Canada) I have put the trail stock in as a fund
> as I do not know if it is on any other system you have listed.
> Looking forward to your reply, and thanks in advance.  John Northcott.

Well, assuming that you've gotten Gnucash installed somewhere on your path (which should be the case if you used your distribution's package facility to install it), simply typing gnc-fq-update should do it. If it doesn't, try "locate gnc-fq-update" to see where it got put, and then invoke it with a full path (or add that path to $PATH).

This isn't really the place to learn how to use Linux; there are hundreds of websites and dozens of books available that are.

What has any of that to do with automatic updates? (Gnucash doesn't provide automatic updates, if that was a question that you forgot to ask. Some Linux distributions do, but that has nothing to do with us.)

Regards,
John Ralls